.RU

List of Christians in the Holy Land - старонка 57


Spafford Baby Home. The site was the first abode of the family Spafford (1881) in Jerusalem. The house is very close to the wall Damascus Gate to Herod's Gate on the ridge. Under the ridge are the subterranean Quarries of Solomon (or Royal Caves). The Spafford house became later Christian Missionary Society Girls School. And afterwards Spafford Baby Home.

Spanish Kings. Between 1219 and 1244, Spanish kings helped the Armenians of St. James in Jerusalem, because at that period the Armenians were in union with Rome.

Spelonca. The name of a monk and of a convent in Wadi Kattar (between Muntar and Castellion) in the Judaean desert.

Spes. The Latin name for the person, who was named in Greek language Elpis (Hope).

Spijkerman August, Franciscan. He was born in 1920 at St. Nicolaasga in Friesland (Netherlands), he died at Jerusalem in 1973. His speciality as numismatist concerned Palestinian coins. Spijkerman cooperated with Rosenberger who edited several books about Rosenberger-collections.

Spirid(i)on, the wonderworker, bishop of Trimythonthe (Cyprus). He was the father of a family, he was named bishop. His continued his work of shepherd. He died around 348. The Melkite liturgy has his feast on Dec 12; the Roman martyrology on Dec 14. -The Greek Orthodox Convent St. Spiridon is inside the wall, to the west of Damascus Gate. (Mertens A. What, when, where in Jerusalem, p. 54, Map of Greek Convents inside the Old City of Jerusalem.)

Spiridon Scordillis, archimandrite. He organised a small museum of antiquities that were found in Jacob's Well at Shechem. In 1860 the Greeks had acquired the site. In 1863 the crypt was restored. Before 1914, the Greeks rebuilt with Russian funds the Byzantine church above the well. After the Russian Revolution of 1917, the funds stopped, and the church is still unfinished.

Spoudaioi. The Greek word means 'men who are always at hand'. Daniel the Russian archimandrite, in 1106 locates their convent west of the Holy Sepulchre. There is actually a Greek convent. Its chapel is dedicated to the Holy Virgin.

Srour of Abud. (13th cent.) He was the son of the deacon Abd el-Messih son of George, son of Said, son of Khweq el-Aboudi. Srour bought near Cairo a Syro-Edessian canonary (book with canons, laws of the church). The ruin, Khirbet Srour, is at the entrance of the village of Abud.

Srpouhi, the Armenian 'Mother Superior', who took the veil at the age of 16 and departed to Christ at the age of 100. This inscription is in the Armenian cemetery outside Sion Gate in Jerusalem.

Stachus, one of the 70 disciples, bishop of Byzantium, in the Greek list. The Roman Martyrology mentions on Oct 31, Stachus, bishop of Constantinople (Byzantium), who was ordained as the first bishop of this town by Andrew the Apostle.

Star in Bethlehem. The silver star in the Grotto of Nativity was stolen on Oct 31, 1847, by the Greeks as protest against the Latins. The star bears the Latin inscription: Hic de Virgine Maria Jesus Christus natus est 1717. Because the removal was contrary to the Status Quo, the Greeks were obliged by the Turkish Government to replace an identical star, in 1852.

Starkburg. German name of the Crusader fortress Montfort. With the support of Frederick II, it passed, early in the 13th century, into the hands of the Teutonic Order. The Arab name is Qal'at el Qurein.

Starkey James Leslie. He was the head of the British expedition for the excavation of Lachish. He was murdered on Jan 10, 1938, near Hebron, as he was driving from Lachish to Jerusalem. The British dig ended in 1939. Starkey is buried on the Protestant-Anglican cemetery on Mount Sion, Jerusalem.

Statchbury H. He made in 1960 the final clearing of Zachariah's Tomb in the valley of Kidron.

Station(s). A manuscript which was formerly in the Franciscan Convent of Sint Truiden (Belgium) mentions the word Station(s) as stopping place or place of praying during the Way of the Passion. The manuscript is probably before Bethlem (round 1475). Its author is unknown. The manuscript mentions 12 Stations (from Judgment (1st) to burial (12th). The Stations are: 1) Judgment; 2) Jesus is disrobed for the scourging; 3) Crowning with thorns; 4) Ecce Homo; 5) Jesus meets his mother Mary; 6) Simon helps; 7)Veronica wipes the face of Jesus; 8) The Gate of Judgment, when leaving the town; 9) Place of Crucifixion; 10) Mary and John under the Cross; 11) Mary receives the body of Jesus; 12) Burial. The manuscript is actually in the Franciscan Convent at Vaalbeek (Leuven).

Status quo. At Easter 1757 there was in the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre a collusion between the Greek clergy and the Franciscans (Latins). The Porte Sublime of Constantinople issued then a firman (decree). It accorded to the Greeks possession of the Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem, of the Tomb of the Virgin in Gethsemane, and joint possession with the Latins in the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre. Pope Clement XIII (1758-1769) appealed to the Western Powers without result. In 1829, the Armenian Orthodox as belonging to the Ottoman Empire, had their rights in these three sanctuaries confirmed. After the Crimean War (1854), the Treaty of Paris in 1855 confirmed the Status Quo of 1757. The Congress of Berlin in 1878 excluded a priori the question of the Holy Places. Clémenceau after the victory of 1918 declined to 'become the sacristan of the Holy Sepulchre'. The British Mandate, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the State of Israel, respected the Status quo.

Sanctuaries under Status quo:

The Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre is used by Greek, Armenians, Latins. - The Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem is used by Greek, Armenians, Latins. - The Tomb of Mary in Gethsemane: here the Latins claim right from the Greek. - At the shrine of the Ascension, the Christians (three groups) have rights, together with the Mosiems. - At the Coenaculum, Room of the Last Supper, on Mount Sion, the Franciscans claim right against the Moslems.

Steenberg Matthieu, parish priest of Londerzeel (Belgium). He had visited the Holy Land. Shortly after 1500 he erected a Cruysganck in his parish. The stations in the fields and streets were: 1) Pilate condemns Jesus; 2) First fall; 3) Simon helps; 4) Veronica cleans the face of Jesus; 5) Second fall; 6) Daughters of Jerusalem lament Jesus. 1 7) Last (third) fall; 8) Jesus is stripped of his garments. - The stations in the streets of Londerzeel were on the same distance as in Jerusalem. On Good Friday the stations were visited with a procession. Round 1930 a highway cut the village in two parts. Since then the Procession Way of the Stations was omitted.

Steiner Joseph. He was born at Haifa from Austrian parents, on Nov 24, 1897. He was ordained as a priest by Patriarch Barlassina in 1920. Steiner died in Lebanon, on Dec 7, 1975.

Steinmann. This French professor was drowned, together with 22 French pilgrims, on a visit from Jerusalem to Petra, when a flood entered the Siq of Petra in April 1963. Only two ladies who were much in advance were not overrolled by the flood because they could climb on the rocks. The Siq of Petra is a narrow passage between high walls of rock. Since the disaster the dam that should prevent the invading of floods had been made higher.

Stephanis and Victor, martyrs. They are mentioned in the Palestinian-Georgian calendar on April 22, Aug 8, Oct 3, Nov 11. These martyrs are not identified.

Stephanus, abbas ad Lacum Anserum, St. He visited Palestine in the 8th century. (AA.SS. Jan 14)

Stephanus Blesensis. He is mentioned in the first crusade, 1096-1099. His chaplain was Alexander. (Chronica S. Petri Vivi) (AA.SS. April 23)

Stephanus, fifth patriarch (1128-1130) of the Latin Patriarchate.

Stephanus Obazinensis, St. He worked for the Saracens, round 1259. (Vita S. Stephani, auct. anon. c. II, n. 7) (AA.SS. March 8)

Stephanus Perticensis. He participated in 1205 at the fourth crusade, he was in Palestine in 1203. (AA.SS. June 24)

Stephanus, the unprofitable clerk. Armenian monks, who wrote in colophons of manuscripts, protested their unworthiness in the following fashion: 'Least of the clergy, the unprofitable clerk, Stephanus, miscalled a priest, which in name alone he is, and not in deed, and a hardened sinner and foreigner, unfruitful of good and unprofitable in all ways, the unmentionable Aretas'. (Hintlian Kevork, History of the Armenians, 1976, p. 54)

Stephen, St. First Martyr. His feast is on Dec 26. Stephen was a Jew of the Diaspora. He lived in Jerusalem, and he accepted Christianity. Stephen and six others were appointed to provide for the care of the needy community, while the Twelve confined themselves to preaching (Acts 6, 11-6). The Seven also preached and it was the Jews of the Diaspora who charged Stephen before the council. The burden of the charge was a prediction of the destruction of the Temple and of the change of the Law. This was judged blasphemy, and Stephen was stoned, according to the law. Luke notes the presence of Saul (Acts 8, 1).

Death of Stephen. A street slopes down from Stephen's Gate to the valley of Kidron. South of the street, in the curve, is the newly (since 1966) rebuilt multi-storeyed church of the Greek Orthodox. The church commemorates the stoning of Stephen.

Finding of his body. In 415 the priest Lucian found the tomb of St. Stephen in Cafargamala (Beit-Jimal). This village is 5 kms south of Beth-Shemesch in Judaea. The body of St. Stephen was then transferred to Mount Sion in Jerusalem, and it remained there from 415 till 439. In 439 the relics were brought from Mount Sion to the newly built basilica north of Jerusalem. This basilica was built under Empress Eudoxia-Athenais. The actual church was consecrated in 1900. It is served by the Dominican Fathers. Near the church is the Ecole Biblique et Archéologique de la France.

Stephen's Gate. (See Lions' Gate) Stephen's Gate has several names. The name Bab Sittna Mariam (the Gate of our Lady Mary) indicates that the way descends to the Tomb of the Virgin Mary. The name Bab el Asbat (Gate of the Tribes) indicates that pilgrims coming from Jericho entered through this gate. The Greeks usually call it Gethsemane Gate, as leading to Gethsemane. Since the Crusades, the christians and the pilgrims call it St. Stephen's Gate. It was also named Gate of Galilee. The Hebrew name Lions' Gate is related to the sculpted lions.

Stoa of St. Stephen. In the Stoa of St. Stephen, deposition of the saints Tarachus, Probus, Andronicus, on June 27 in the Palestinian-Georgian calendar. Stoa (portico) means perhaps the atrium (central court) of the Basilica, which was inaugurated by Empress Eudoxia on June 15, 460.

Synaxis in Stephano Sancto. The Georgian calendar on Jan 14 has for this synaxis: totum invenies temporis Paschalis Secunda feria quarta (the second Wednesday after Easter).

Transfer of the bones to Jerusalem. The Melkite liturgy remembers it on August 2.

Transfer of the bones to Constantinople. The Greek synaxaries remember it on August 2.

St. Stephen on Mount Sion (Armenian Church). Theodoric (1172) mentions this church. A colophon of the Armenian manuscript (Man. No 1863, fol 327b-328b) dated 1134, locates this church to the east of the Armenian Convent of the Holy Archangels.

Stephen, adopted name of Dunale.

Stephen, the Arab. He was hegumen of the 'koinobion' of St. Sabas. Stephen died 533 or 534, Jan 22. (Vita Euthymii, ch. 48) The Georgian calendar has the feast on Jan 12.

Stephen, bishop. St. Not identified. Perhaps Stephen, disciple of S. Euthymius and deacon of the Anastasis-Church, and later bishop of Jamnia, who took part at the Council of Chalcedon (451). Feast on April 2.

Stephen, count of Chartres in France. He took part at the first Crusade, 1096-1099.

Stephen of Chenolakkos, St. In the Greek liturgy on Jan 14. He lived in the 8th century. He entered the monastic life in Palestine, staying for some time in the monasteries of St. Euthymius, St. Sabas, and St. Theodosius. After studying the rules of these monasteries, he went to Constantinople, where he consulted with Germanus I, the Patriarch, who helped him to found the monastery of Chenolakkos near Moudania in Asia Minor, where he remained until his death.

Stephen of Cuneo (Italy), St. This Franciscan was martyred in Jerusalem on Nov 14, 1391. He was canonized by Pope Paul VI, on June 21, 1970. His feast is on Dec 5.

Stephen of Dor. In September 642 Stephen was promoted by the pope as Administrator Apostolicus of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem. It was after the conquest (637) of Jerusalem by the Islam.

Stephen of Melitene in Armenia. He was the brother of Gainos and of Andrew. Stephen was received in the laura by St. Sabas. Stephen became bishop of Jamnia. (Perhaps to be identified with Stephen, bishop?)

Stephen, a shepherd in France. This youth induced, round 1200, young companions to follow him for a crusade. His group was taken by slave-dealers and sold into Egypt.

Stephen, the confessor. In the Greek liturgy, Dec 17. He was ordained by Pope Agapetus 11 (946-955), he went to Constantinople where he met with the Emperor Constantine VII (912-959). Stephen proceeded to Jerusalem, from there to Egypt, where he was arrested and died.

Stephen, Franciscan Father. He came in 1219-1220 to the Holy Land and informed St. Francis of Assisi about the happenings in his Order in Italy.

Stephen, the hymnograph, (Stephen of Mar Saba, The Sabaite, The Thaumaturgist. The Melkite liturgy has the feast on Oct 28. Stephen was born in Damascus in 725. His brother was John of Damascus. Stephen entered the monastery of St. Sabas in the desert of Judaea. Later he was consecrated a bishop. For many years he withdraw to live in the desert. He performed many miracles. He is said to have walked over the water. He lived on herbs. He died on March 31, 794. The Palestinian-Georgian calendar has his feast on Dec 23. Stephen has written the passion of the 20 monks who were martyred in 797 by the Moslems. The Acta Sanctorum have Stephanus, confessor and poet, on Oct 28, in the 9th century. The Acta Sanctorum have Stephanus Sabaita on July 13.

Stephen, successor of St. Gerasimos, (Vita Cyriaci, ed. Schwartz)

Stephen, Saint, King of Hungary. Round 1010 he founded buildings in Jerusalem. (Vita S. Steph., auct. Hartwico seu Carthuitio, ep. c. III, n. 18) (AA.SS. Sept 2)

Sterckx Petrus, (Petrus Potens) priest from Leuven (Belgium). After a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, he erected round 1505 a Cruysganck in the streets of Leuven with 8 Stations. They are: 1) Judgment 2' First Fall; 3) Simon helps; 4) Veronica wipes the face of Jesus 5) Second Fall; 6) Daughters of Jerusalem lament Jesus; 7) Third Fall; 8) Stripped of the garments. This 8th Station was outside the gate of the city. The Cruysganck of Leuven served as model for Peter Calentijn, who published his Cruysganck in 1568. (Compare: Steenberg Matthieu of Londerzeel)

Stock Simon. See: Simon Stock of Kent (1165-1265).

Stone of Calvary. According to the Latins, the Greeks cut away on Friday July 20, 1810 a part of the rock round the hole in which the Cross stood on Calvary. The relic was destined for Constantinople. The ship, according to the Latins, shipwrecked before the coast of Syria and the relic was lost. (Compare: Maurus, custos)

Storrs Ronald. He belonged to the British Military Government. In 1918, he ordered the Greeks to remove the screen wall, that separated the east apse from the central nave in the Basilica of Nativity in Bethlehem. The Greeks had erected the screen in 1842, after an earthquake of 1834.
2010-07-19 18:44 Читать похожую статью
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • Контрольная работа
  • © Помощь студентам
    Образовательные документы для студентов.